Recipe by Triad to Wellness Consulting – Photo Courtesy of Kristen Massad
Creamy & Delicious
Fact: eggs are a serious powerhouse food and avocados are a nutrient-dense superfood. When paired together in our Avocado Deviled Eggs recipe, we create the ultimate superfood powerhouse! Our recipe is a healthier version of the classic deviled egg–we keep all of the traditional flavors, but replace the mayo with a perfect substitute: avocado. The key to making a good deviled egg GREAT is that the center yolk filling must have a buttery consistency in every flavorful bite. That’s why ours are AMAZING! The natural creaminess and healthy fat from avocado, combined with salsa and lime juice, adds an extra richness and tangy flavor to our bite-sized morsels that is deliciously satisfying. These Avocado Deviled Eggs are the kind of protein-filled, vitamin-rich snack, appetizer or party-pleasing essential that combines the health benefits of our favorite healthy foods into the perfect, tasty, hand-held treat.
Nutrient Booster: Avocado
Avocados are a heart-healthy, nutrient-dense superfood. This unique fruit offers nearly 20 vitamins, minerals, and plant compounds in every serving, including vitamins B, K, E and C, as well as as copper (which is essential for the body’s survival), lutein (which is good for eye health), folate (which is crucial for cell repair during pregnancy), and potassium (which helps control blood pressure). In fact, avocados have even more potassium than bananas! Avocados are loaded with healthy fats, fiber, and many other important nutrients that help improve cholesterol levels and lower the risk for heart disease. It is so easy to incorporate the health benefits of this delicious, nutrient-dense fruit into your diet. Its rich, creamy texture blends well with so many other ingredients, making it simple to add to your favorite recipes. Blend it in smoothies, top it over salads, mash it in guacamole, or simply scoop it out and eat it with a spoon for a wholesome dose of good health.
We love taking the tradition out of traditional by swapping out less healthful ingredients and incorporating nutrient-dense substitutes in our recipes. Deviled eggs are so much fun to customize, especially when we use our favorite healthy, non-classic fillings. Try omitting the yellow and stuffing your whites with our Hempy Guacamole. Or mash your yolk with Icelandic Provisions Skyr, Greek yogurt or cottage cheese for a calcium-rich center. Be the master of your own mix-in by topping your egg creation with flavorful herbs, such as cumin, paprika, cilantro or garlic. Loaded with health benefits and packed with flavor, our deviled egg ideas are filled with only the good to help prevent all that is bad.
Avocado Deviled Eggs
- 6 large eggs
- 1/3 cup mashed avocado
- 2 1/2 tsp salsa
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- dash of pepper
- cilantro for garnish
- • Re-sealable plastic bag (like Ziploc)* or piping bag with a round tip
- Fill a saucepan a little more than halfway with room temperature water, and place the pan over medium-high heat. Once the water reaches a rolling boil, add the eggs, lower to a simmer for 3 minutes then remove the pan from the heat. Let stand for 12 minutes (covered).
- Gently tap the eggs against the counter to crack the shell in several places, then immerse in a bowl with ice water for a few minutes. This will allow ease when peeling the eggs.
- Slice the eggs in half (length-wise). Gently remove the yolks either with your fingers or with a teaspoon. Place the yolks in a mixing bowl, and place the egg whites on a serving platter, sliced side up.
- Using a fork, mash the yolks until they are in small pieces. Add the avocado, salsa, and lime juice into the bowl and mix until smooth.
- Place the avocado filling in a plastic bag or pastry pipping bag. Pipe the filling into the egg whites so that it is slightly overflowing. To each egg, add salt, pepper, and cilantro. Serve immediately, or within 24 hours of preparation.