Easy Weeknight Dinner
Wondering if your kitchen needs yet another countertop gadget? The Instant Pot, a device that combines an electric pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker and yogurt maker all in one handy unit, is the new sensation! While we love preparing meals in slow cookers, we love recipes that call for Instant Pots, too. The combination of set-it-and-forget-it cooking with shorter cooking times makes this tool ideal for easy weeknight dinners when you are juggling multiple busy schedules. We’ve taken the classic, well-loved Beef Ragu recipe and turned it into a healthy, delicious family friendly dish that is so easy to make, thanks to the Instant Pot. Filled with nutrient rich ingredients, like mushrooms, carrots and kale, this cozy, warm meal requires little work and cooks in the Instant Pot in an hour. Or you can use a traditional slow cooker if you’d like! Our healthier version of this classic comfort food also uses lean flank steak with juicy tomato and heavenly flavors that is packed with protein for a satiating and wholesome meal. Your busy family will love coming home to this Beef Ragu dinner that tastes like you stood at the stove for hours.
Nutrient Booster: Carrots
This Beef Ragu is both bursting with flavor and also filled with nutrient rich ingredients. We’ve added carrots to our recipe because they offer so many health benefits. Carrots are a particularly good source of beta-carotene, fiber, and antioxidants. The beta-carotene in carrots, which is converted to vitamin A in the body, promotes good vision and is important for growth, development, and immune function. Evidence suggests that eating more antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables, such as carrots, can help reduce the risks of cancer and cardiovascular disease.
We love to pair this Beef Ragu with our favorite grain-free pasta, Cappellos! Cappellos is a gluten-free, grain-free pasta made with almond flour, cage-free eggs, tapioca flour, xanthan gum and sea salt. This dish also pairs well with a traditional pasta, zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash, rice, potatoes, sorghum, freekeh and so much more.
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 ounces portobello mushrooms, diced
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 ½ pounds flank steak, cut across the grain into thirds
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup beef broth, low sodium
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 16 ounces Cappello's fettuccine
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- parmesan or ricotta, for topping
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Turn the Instant Pot on the saute setting, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil add the onions and garlic saute about 4-5 minutes and saute until garlic is golden browned.
- Season the flank steak with 1/4 teaspoon sea salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Add 2 teaspoons of olive oil then the flank steak and sear for about 2 minutes on each side then remove the steak to a plate.
- Add the additional olive oil then the diced Portobello mushrooms and carrots and cook for about another 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are soft. Deglaze the pot with the red wine, and cook for about one minute. Add the crushed tomatoes, beef broth, oregano, basil and red pepper and stir to combine. Add the flank steak back into the Instant Pot.
- Turn off the Instant Pot. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and make sure the steam release is set to the sealing position. Press the Meat/Stew button and use the "Adjust" button and use the +/- to set the Instant Pot to 30 minutes.
- After you hear the timer go off, wait 10 minutes until pressure releases naturally then switch valve to the venting position before unlocking the lid to release any additional pressure. When removing the lid lift it so its a shield in front of you as the steam releases. Cancel the Meat/Stew setting.
- Remove the flank steaks and place them on a platter. Use two forks to shred each steak, discarding any pieces of fat.
- Press the saute button on the display of the Instant Pot and use the NORMAL setting to reduce the sauce for 5-10 minutes.
- Once the meat is shredded add it back to the pot add the kale and mix well. Turn the Instant Pot off and cover it for 2-3 minutes so the kale will wilt. Prepare the fettuccine.
- Remove the beef ragu from the Instant Pot, serve over Capello's fettuccine top with parsley and Parmesan cheese (optional). Divide approximately 2 cups among 5 bowls and top each with parsley and cheese if desired.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- In the slow cooker on the saute setting or in a saute pan over medium heat, add 1 teaspoon olive oil, onions and garlic. Saute for approximately 4-5 minutes or until garlic is golden brown.
- Season the flank steak with 1/4 teaspoon sea salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Add 2 teaspoons of olive oil to the slow cooker or saute pan then sear the flank steak for about 2 minutes on each side. Remove the steak when seared and place on a plate.
- Add the additional olive oil, diced Portobello mushrooms and carrots to slow cooker or saute pan and cook for about another 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms are soft. Deglaze the slow cooker or saute pan with the red wine, and cook for about one minute.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, beef broth, oregano, basil and red pepper and stir to combine. Add all ingredients to the slow cooker, if using a saute pan.
- Set the slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours, or until the flank steak easily shreds apart.
- Remove the flank steaks and place them on a platter. Use two forks to shred each steak, discarding any pieces of fat. Reduce the sauce for 5-10 minutes.
- Once the meat is shredded add it back to the slow cooker. Add the kale and mix well. Turn the slow cooker off and cover for 2-3 minutes so kale will wilt.
- Prepare Capello's fettuccine as directed on package. Divide approximately 2 cups of fettuccine among 5 bowls.
- Remove the beef ragu from the slow cooker and serve over Capello's fettuccine. Top with parsley and Parmesan cheese (optional).
Serving size: 2 cup serving, Calories: 505, Fat: 20 grams, Saturated fat: 5 grams, Carbohydrates: 40 grams, Sugar: 12 gram, Sodium: 625 milligrams, Fiber: 8.5 grams, Protein: 39.5 grams, Cholesterol: 145 milligrams