Recipe by Triad to Wellness Consulting – Photo Courtesy of Kristen Massad
The Perfect Sweet Treat
There is something about the juiciness and flavor of baking with blueberries that screams summer! Our Blueberry Crumb Squares are a perfectly sweet vegan summer treat, made with only wholesome ingredients, and are gluten-free and refined sugar-free too. What’s not to love about a dessert with a soft chewy crust, filled with sticky sweet berries, and topped with a crispy crumble? We use a blend of gluten-free flours and coconut oil to achieve the ideal firmness and pastry-like consistency for our crust, not only because it is packed with nutrients that you won’t find in white flour and butter, but also because the combination can handle the weight of the juicy blueberry filling. Our recipe also contains less sugar than traditional versions, simply because it is unnecessary. Our Blueberry Crumb Squares are naturally sweetened with syrup or honey and, of course, blueberries. The crumb topping is slightly crunchy, full of delicious cinnamon oatmeal flavor, and complements the sweet filling perfectly without sinking to the bottom of the pan. And when the blueberries start bubbling in the oven and the crumb topping turns a golden brown, you have the best of summer comfort food in the heavenly form of a triple layered blueberry crumble!
Nutrient Booster: Blueberries
Blueberries are among the most nutrient-dense berries and are an excellent source of fiber and vitamins C and K. They have one of the highest antioxidant levels of all common fruits and vegetables. These antioxidants protect the body from damage caused by free radicals and can help prevent aging and chronic diseases, such as cancer, diabetes, and heart disease. Because of its impressive antioxidant content, blueberries also have an anti-inflammatory effect in the body. Eating blueberries may also lower blood pressure and oxidized LDL cholesterol, which could prevent heart disease. This naturally sweet-tasting fruit is delicious, healthy, and incredibly nutritious. It is so easy to boost your heart health and brain function by adding blueberries to your smoothies, pancakes, sparkling water, desserts, and baked treats.
Top Your Treat
We love fresh seasonal produce, especially summer berries! We eat them by the handful, mix them with cottage cheese, toss them in a bowl of cereal, and add them to every baked good possible. Our delicious Blueberry Crumb Squares recipe combines our favorite fruit with our favorite dessert into one baked nutrient-dense treat. They are perfect for an after-dinner dessert, a mid-day snack, and are secretly healthy enough for breakfast. While these squares taste great on their own, we often enjoy them topped with Greek yogurt, Icelandic Provisions Skyr, or our Cashew Cream for an extra boost of protein. A scoop of vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt would make this treat even sweeter. For added crunch, try sprinkling Cinnamon & Sugar flavored SuperSeedz Pumpkin Seeds over your crumble. Blueberry Crumb Square are deliciously nutritious with a fruity flavor in each bite — we make it so easy to enjoy dessert first!
Blueberry Crumb Squares
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup flaxseed
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, sorghum syrup or honey
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups blueberries, frozen, unsweetened
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup oats, or sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil, or vegan butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 8x8 Baking Pan
- parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium size bowl, mix the dry ingredients together. Add in the wet ingredients, and mix well. Press the mixture into the bottom of the baking pan and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, mix together the filling ingredients in a medium size mixing bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl used for the crust, mix together crumb topping ingredients. Using your fingers, pinch the crumb mixture so it forms small pea-size balls. Set aside.
- When the crust is light brown, add the filling, and place crumb topping over the filling.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the crust is light brown.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares. Refrigerate for 3-5 days.
Disclosure: Triad to Wellness has provided nutrition communication services to Sorghum Checkoff. However, we were not compensated for this post. All opinions are our own.