Oh my mouthwatering flavor! Our Chicken Tikka Masala recipe rivals any Indian restaurant! Why go out when you can make this healthy rich and creamy dish at home? Each spicy and tender bite is smothered in a slew of spices that is suitable for the most timid of palates. The Instant Pot makes this recipe so quick and easy to prepare and your kitchen will be wafting with the aromatic flavors of goodness. Filled with wholesome and nutritious ingredients, such as cauliflower, tomatoes, and yogurt, the deep orangey red sauce envelops the chicken with a beautiful color and a taste that will warm your insides and surprise your senses. Our must-try Chicken Tikka Masala is a burst of flavor waiting to explode in your mouth!
Nutrient Booster: Cauliflower
The cauliflower in this recipe not only adds bulk to this delicious meal, but it is also teeming with nutrients. This extremely healthy vegetable contains some of almost every vitamin and mineral the body needs to stay healthy. Cauliflower is a good source of choline, an essential nutrient that so many people lack. Cauliflower is most notably known for it’s brain benefits due to the significant presence of choline. Choline is responsible for brain development and production of neurotransmitters that help prevent neurological disorders. It also helps prevent cholesterol from forming in the liver. Our Chicken Tikka Masala helps you incorporate cauliflower into a daily diet for a plant based source of so many nutrients.
We love to pair this Chicken Tikka Masala with the goodness of whole grain sorghum! Sorghum is an extremely versatile, gluten free grain that’s high in both protein and fiber. This recipe would also taste great with basmati rice, brown rice, quinoa, cauliflower rice and so much more!
Chicken Tikka Masala
- 2 teaspoons Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 (5.3) ounce containers dairy-free yogurt
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
Tikka Masala Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons Garam Masala
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- In a large bowl add 2 teaspoons Garam Masala, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 4 garlic cloves, sea salt and lemon juice. Add the almond milk yogurt and mix together. Add the chicken thighs and coat well. Cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Add 1 teaspoon of coconut oil to the Instant Pot and set to saute. Add the onion, garlic, and saute for about 4 minutes. Add ginger, Garam Masala, paprika, turmeric, and cayenne. Stir for about 1-2 minutes, until the spices are fragrant.
- Move the onions to the side and add 2 teaspoons of coconut oil to the Instant Pot. Add the chicken pieces and cook until the chicken starts to brown, about 2 minutes on each side. Then add the fire roasted tomatoes and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes using the "adjust" button use the +/- to set the Instant Pot to 5 minutes. After you hear the timer go off, switch valve to "venting" position, then turn off the Instant Pot. Do the quick release very carefully letting the steam release before opening the lid. When removing the lid, lift it so it is a shield in front of your face as the steam releases.
- Add the cauliflower and carrots and cook for an additional 4 minutes on high pressure using the "adjust" button use the +/- to set the Instant Pot to 4 minutes. After you hear the timer go off, switch valve to the "venting" position. Do the quick release very carefully letting the steam release. Turn off the Instant Pot and then open the lid. When removing the lid, lift it so it is a shield in front of your face as the steam releases.
- Stir in the coconut milk. Turn the Instant Pot onto saute. Allow it to come to a simmer stirring occasionally until the sauce thickens slightly, about 5 - 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with pearled sorghum, naan or grain of choice.
Serving size: 1/4th portion or about 2 3/4 cups, Calories: 540, Fat: 30 grams, Saturated fat: 15 grams, Carbohydrates: 5 grams, Sugar: 1 gram, Sodium: 500 milligrams, Fiber: 5 grams, Protein: 38 grams, Cholesterol: 150 milligrams