Recipe by Triad to Wellness Consulting – Photo Courtesy of Kristen Massad
Classic Comfort Food
Everyone needs a dependable and easy meatball recipe, but not all meatballs are created equal! Our version of the classic Italian-American family favorite is made with ground turkey, which is leaner than beef, making it a healthier alternative. Juicy on the inside and golden on the outside, these meatballs are the real deal–moist, flavorful, and best of all, they are baked and not fried. Diced onion and mushrooms add both flavor and nutrients to these delicious protein-packed turkey meatballs and helps keep them incredibly tender. Our nutritious morsels are filled with the mouth-watering flavors of Italy using fresh herbs and Pecorino Romano cheese and are the ultimate healthy comfort food that will please any meatball connoisseur.
Nutrient Booster: Mushrooms
Mushrooms are a powerhouse of nutrition and are high in dietary fiber and over a dozen minerals and vitamins, including copper, potassium, magnesium, zinc and a number of B vitamins. Many types of mushrooms are also good sources of selenium, an antioxidant that protects cells from damage and reduces chronic disease and inflammation. In addition, mushrooms provide vitamin C and iron. But, in order to reap the nutritional benefits from mushrooms, they must be cooked. That’s why our Turkey Meatball recipe is the perfect meal when you want to serve a healthy AND tasty dish. For more mushroom facts and recipe inspiration, be sure to check out The Mushroom Council.
Make Once, Eat Twice
Double-duty dinners are our favorite way to cook! Our turkey meatballs are the perfect make once, eat twice option that guarantees an easy, yet healthy meal when your busy schedule makes it hard to cook. Prepare a double batch of these delicious morsels and use the leftovers to create a new dish the next night. Meatballs are delicious served over pasta, spiralized vegetables, or sorghum and topped with your favorite marinara sauce. You can serve them in a sub roll, on a bed of greens, with rice, or simply on their own. Our meatballs freeze and reheat well so you can prepare a quick freezer meal made with real food! You will love batch cooking this recipe for a variety of nutritious dinners with endless possibilities.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs, or gluten-free bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup onion, finely diced
- 1/3 cup mushrooms, diced
- 1 teaspoon parsley, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 2 (24 ounce) jars marinara sauce, low sodium
- Preheat oven to 400° & prepare baking sheet by spreading 1 tablespoon olive oil evenly.
- In a large bowl combine turkey, egg, breadcrumbs, Pecorino Romano cheese, pepper, garlic powder, onion, mushrooms, parsley, and oregano. Mix well. Gently shape with hands, 1 1/2 inch diameter meatballs and place on greased baking sheet spaced slightly apart. Bake meatballs at 400° F for 20-25 minutes turning once so the meatballs are browned on both sides. Meatballs are cooked at 165°F.
- In a medium size saucepan add marinara sauce and warm over medium heat. Once meatballs are cooked through in the oven, add them to the sauce on the stove top. Heat in sauce an additional 10 minutes. Serve.