Recipe by Triad to Wellness Consulting – Photo Courtesy of Kristen Massad
Cream-less Creamy Soup
Get a head start on your daily dose of vegetables with our vibrant Broccoli Avocado Soup. Packed with nutrient-dense ingredients that will help your immune system fight the winter chill, this soup has everything you need to power through the cold and flu season without so much as a sniffle! Our recipe purees whole, plant-based foods into a warm, velvety, cozy soup that resembles a “cream of,” but is completely dairy-free and vegan. Avocado adds a wonderful creaminess and butter-like richness to our soup and combines deliciously with the fiber-rich broccoli. Our recipe makes an incredibly nutritious bowl of goodness that will provide your body with amazing digestive health benefits and immune boosting vitamins. When you’re serious about good health, this is seriously good soup.
Nutrient Booster: Avocado
Avocado is prized for its high nutrient value and adds a wonderful flavor and texture to so many recipes. We love using avocado in this soup, not only for its creamy consistency, but also for its incredible health benefits. This fruit is very high in potassium, an important electrolyte that most of us do not get enough of. A 3.5-ounce serving of avocado has 14% of your recommended daily allowance of potassium. Studies show that high potassium intake is related to reduced blood pressure which is a major risk factor for several diseases. Avocados blend well with a variety of ingredients, making it an easy way to incorporate good health into your favorite recipes.
Reducing and Utilizing Food Waste
Do you hate to waste food? Wondering what to do with the leftover broccoli stems when your family only eats the florets? While this decadent soup recipe may not convert you into a use-everything-you’ve got in the kitchen kind of cook, we guarantee you will never toss your stalks again. Broccoli stems are just as delicious and healthy as the florets and can easily be pureed in soups and stews. In fact, leftover broccoli stems can be frozen for 6-8 months. Our Broccoli Avocado Soup is so nutritious and delicious that that you will be excited to stock up on your stems. Use our recipe to make food, not waste!
Creamy Broccoli and Avocado Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 4 cups broccoli stalks, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2-1 tsp curry powder, to taste
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 4 cups water
- 1 avocado
- 3 tsp lime or lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp pumpkin seeds, (pepitas) raw for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, stir and cook until soft, about 4 minutes, then add garlic and cook until lightly browned. Add celery and cook for another 3 minutes. Add broccoli and cook for another 2 minutes. While continuing to stir the broccoli mixture, add the thyme, curry powder and sea salt. Incorporate well. Add water and bring to a boil and cook, covered, until bright green and tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly.
- Transfer soup to blend in a high-speed blender and puree with avocado and 3 teaspoons of lime or lemon juice. An immersion blender or traditional blender may also work. Pour blended soup into serving bowls. Garnish with pumpkin seeds.