Recipe by Triad to Wellness Consulting – Photo Courtesy of Kristen Massad
Meals in bowls are all the rage–buddha bowls, macro bowls, power bowls, grain bowls–they are trending everywhere! What sets our Grilled Veggie Nourish Bowl apart from many of the others is that our recipe is gluten-free, plant-based, all-natural, AND contains all 10 essential amino acids in every bite! We love this nourish bowl recipe because it is a well-balanced, healthy, nutritional powerhouse filled with only nutrient-dense ingredients that fuel and heal. While these “meal-in-a-bowl” creations offer recipe flexibility and opportunity for creativity, our general formula for a protein and fiber-rich breakfast, lunch, or dinner consists of whole grains, plant proteins, healthy fats, and vegetables. We grill our vegetables to make them easier to digest, enhance their natural flavors, and retain their nutrients. And when topped with our zesty, creamy Tahini dressing, this Grilled Veggie Nourish Bowl is the ultimate nourishing meal. Our delicious Grilled Veggie Nourish Bowl combines nature’s perfect foods to make a perfect vegan one-bowl dish!
Nutrient Booster: Tahini, Sorghum + Hemp
Tahini is made from lightly roasted and milled sesame seeds, making it a spreadable sesame seed butter. Sesame seeds are a good source of copper, manganese, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, iron, zinc, molybdenum, vitamin B1, selenium and fiber. Tahini boasts a range of health benefits, including lowering the risk of heart disease, regulating blood pressure, supporting the immune system, and maintaining healthy bones. Salad dressings, dipping sauces and garnishes are the perfect way to add more tahini to your diet. Our Tahini Dressing is a delicious nutrient-dense condiment that can “dress-up” some of your other favorite dishes.
We love including sorghum in our nourish bowls! Sorghum is a versatile, naturally gluten-free whole grain that is high in both protein and fiber. Packed with iron, vitamin B6, magnesium, and so much nutrition, sorghum fuels your body with a high-energy grain. Sorghum is rich in potassium and antioxidants, and contains properties that can promote cardiovascular health and lower cholesterol. For more information and recipe inspiration, please visit the Simply Sorghum website.
Hemp is a delicious and nutrient-dense plant with seeds that are incredibly healthy. Hemp hearts are high in protein and contains all 10 essential amino acids. These seeds contain an abundance of omega-3, omega-6 and omega-6 Gamma Linoleic Acid (GLA). Research shows that GLA helps lower cholesterol levels, decreases inflammation, promotes healthy skin and hair, aids in balancing hormones, and promotes overall heart health. For more information, visit the Manitoba Harvest Hemp website to discover the many super uses for this incredibly super plant.
No Boundary Bowl
Nourish bowls have no boundaries. They offer you a basic formula to create your own recipe without specific rules and regulations. Simply stated, your ingredients should be all things that both fuel and satisfy your body and palate. Typically, nourish bowls are plant-based, but no one is stopping you from adding meat into your mix! Try swapping the chickpeas for an alternate protein source, like our Grilled Chicken Satay or our Butternut Squash Meatloaf Muffins. Vegetarian options can include eggs, beans, and fish. For vegan protein, top your bowl with our Black Bean Burgers or Eggplant Pesto Meatballs. Whole grains can include brown rice, quinoa, noodles, and our favorites, Sorghum and Freekeh. There is a rainbow of different veggies to choose from too! And don’t forget the healthy fats, like avocado, olives, or some of our favorite add-ins, such as SuperSeedz pumpkin seeds, Pizootz peanuts and Manitoba Harvest Hemp seeds that pack an extra punch of nutritional crunch. It’s deliciously easy to eat healthy, because everything just tastes better in a bowl!
Grilled Veggie Nourish Bowl
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large zucchini, sliced 1/4" thick
- 2 medium yellow squash, sliced 1/4" thick
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
- 3 tablespoons shelled hemp seeds
- 1 1/2 cups whole grain sorghum, cooked
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sorghum syrup, or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon water
- 1. Prepare grill on medium to medium-low heat. Using ½ teaspoon olive oil, lightly grease grill grate with a wire-bristled brush.
- In a large plastic resealable bag, place sliced zucchini, yellow squash, remaining olive oil, sea salt, and pepper. Seal bag and shake well to coat the zucchini and yellow squash.
- Stack grape tomatoes on skewers.
- Grill the zucchini, yellow squash, and tomatoes for 3 minutes, flip vegetables and grill an additional 3-4 minutes or until tender and lightly browned (grape tomatoes may cook faster than other vegetables.) Remove from heat and set vegetables aside.
- In a small bowl prepare dressing – add Tahini, garlic, ginger, lemon juice and sorghum syrup, mix together well. Add water and whisk until emulsified.
- In 4 bowls, evenly distribute sorghum to the bottom of the bowl and top with grilled zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes, chickpeas, and hemp hearts. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the Tahini dressing over vegetables