There is something about a crisp potato pancake that is incredibly hard to turn down! While potato latkes are often considered traditional time-honored Hanukkah delights, it needn’t be a holiday to enjoy our Sweet Potato Latkes. We love to take a simple, classic recipe and reinvent it, creating a more healthy and nutrient-dense version of a beloved favorite. The vitamin A-rich sweet potatoes in our latkes provide a superfood upgrade as well as a heavenly sweet and flavorful twist on the standard version. We also skip the deep fryer in favor of baking these golden gems, creating a tender-inside-crispy-outside texture that’s filled with the perfect balance of creamy sweet potato and sorghum syrup with seasonal spices. These latkes make a great appetizer or side for any meal that needs a little extra something special. Our Sweet Potato Latkes will add sweetness to your holiday cheer and give you even more reason to celebrate with good health!
Nutrient Booster: Sweet Potatoes
Loaded with vitamins, minerals, fiber and health-promoting phytonutrients, sweat potatoes are total nutrition powerhouses. This root vegetable is full of antioxidants, which, when ingested, can help prevent the premature aging process of the skin. Sweet potatoes are high in carotenoids, a derivative of vitamin A. Beta-carotene, retinol and lycopene are all examples of carotenoids and are prized their high antioxidant content and skin health benefits. While you enjoy sweet potatoes for their taste, your skin will externally reflect the status of your internal health. Our Sweet Potato Latkes are a delicious way to help you put your best face forward!
Make Once, Eat Twice
Our Sweet Potato Latkes are so delicious and nutritious, you will want to make enough to serve now and plenty more to freeze for later! These latkes are the perfect nibble-size appetizer for a dinner party or a healthy side dish for almost any meal. Try them alongside our Tandoori Chicken Thighs or our One Pan Chicken Dinner. Although healthy on their own, we love to top them with our Cashew Cream or World of Chia Fruit Spread for an added boost of nutrition. Sweet Potato latkes can also be a healthy snack idea or savory breakfast option.
Mini Sweet Potato Latkes
- 1 pound sweet potatoes,
- 2 large eggs, whisked and beaten
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour,
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds shelled
- 1 tablespoon sorghum syrup, or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Wash and peel sweet potatoes and grate in a food processor or by hand. Place grated sweet potatoes in a large bowl and add eggs, flour, hemp hearts, sorghum syrup, baking powder, salt, ginger, cinnamon to the sweet potatoes. Mix well.
- Place coconut oil on the lined sheet pan. Using a 1 tablespoon measuring spoon, scoop batter into hands and form a small patty. Place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat until the batter is gone.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes, turn latkes and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Serving size: 1 serving (5 mini latkes), Calories: 150 Fat: 7 g Saturated fat: 3 g Carbohydrates: 16 g Sugar: 5 g Sodium: 300 mg Fiber: 3 g Protein: 6 g Cholesterol: 65 mg
Disclosure: Triad to Wellness has provided nutrition communication services to The Sorghum Checkoff. However, we were not compensated for this post. All opinions are our own.