Looking for an easy-to-prepare meal that doesn’t compromise nutritional quality? Our Chicken Bean Quesadilla recipe is filled with protein and fiber to help keep you healthy. And unlike other “fast” food meals that lack nutritious ingredients, this quesadilla will fuel and satiate your body. From start to finish, these quesadillas take only 13 minutes to assemble and serve–perfect when you are short on time. We use rotisserie chicken for meals such as this one because of its convenience and the leftovers can be used throughout the week. While rotisserie chicken makes cooking easier, please be mindful that it is often higher in sodium.
Nutrient Booster: Black Beans + Flaxseed
Black beans not only add delicious flavor and texture to these quesadillas, but they make a healthy addition to this recipe. Black beans are prized for their high fiber content. Studies show that consuming black beans can help satiate longer and lead to reductions in body fat. The unique combination of both fiber and protein found in black beans can help regulate the passage of food through the digestive tract and can help prevent unwanted digestive ailments, such as IBS and constipation.
Flaxseeds are one of the most popular “superfoods” and, when used in our quesadilla recipe, add extra nutrition to this meal. There are so many nutritional benefits of the flaxseed, including high fiber for improved digestion and skin as well as numerous cardiovascular benefits. Research on flaxseeds shows that it aids in lowering blood pressure and promoting a healthy heart. And that’s just the beginning! When you are short on time, feel good about serving this quick and easy recipe that is long on health.
Our Chicken Bean Quesadillas pair well with many of our side dishes. Try our Israeli Style Salad with Sorghum, Colorful Quinoa and Pecan Salador our Chard Salad with Carrots, Beets and Sunflower Seedsfor an all around delicious and nutritious meal.
Chicken and Bean Quesadilla
- 8 whole wheat tortilla low carb
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 4 tablespoons flaxseed
- 1/4 cup Mexican blend cheddar cheese
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 12 ounces organic rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Lay one tortilla on a plate, and add 2 tablespoons salsa, and 1 tablespoon flax seed. Spread evenly on tortilla. Add 1 tablespoon Mexican blend shredded cheese, 1/2 cup black beans and 3 ounces shredded chicken to the tortilla. Place the other tortilla on top. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place one quesadilla in skillet. Cover skillet for 2 minutes over medium heat and flip. Cook for another 2-3 minutes covered until tortilla is browned. Repeat with remaining quesadillas. Cut in quarters and serve!
Serving: 1 quesadilla, Calories: 495 calories, Fat: 12 grams, Saturated fat: 4 grams, Carbohydrates: 60 grams, Sugar: 1 gram, Sodium: 870 milligrams Fiber: 15 grams, Protein: 30 grams, Cholesterol: 55 milligrams