Creamy Turmeric Cauliflower and Carrot Soup: Soups Up!
Who doesn’t love the comfort of soup all year round? This savory, vegan Cauliflower and Carrot Soup recipe is a delicious lunch or dinner option even when it’s warm outside. A bowl of our homemade cauliflower and carrot soup is simply bursting with mouth-watering healthy ingredients and creates an irresistible aroma. Filled with both flavor and nutrition, this soup pairs well with our Chard Salad with Carrots, Beets and Sunflower Seeds, whole grain bread and so much more. We love the simplicity of this dish and how easy it is to make when time is limited. Once you taste this recipe, you will be serving soup regardless of the weather!
Nutrient Booster: Cauliflower + Turmeric
Cauliflower is one of our favorite cruciferous vegetables to incorporate into our recipes and adding it to this soup is no exception. Cauliflower is a nutrient dense vegetable that comes in many different color varieties (such as purple, white and yellow), and is low in calories, yet rich in vitamins and minerals. It is an excellent source of vitamin C, manganese, and broad-spectrum antioxidants, which help lower the risk of oxidative stress in our cells. Scientifically speaking, researchers have found that oxidative stress may cause susceptibility for non-Hodgkin lymphoma, a cancer that attacks the immune system. Consuming foods such as cauliflower may help reduce the risk for this type of disease among others.
Turmeric also offers some incredible health benefits. Curcumin, the yellow pigment in turmeric, has been associated with anti-inflammatory, antiviral, anti-cancer and antibacterial properties while also offering antioxidants to help fight free radicals. In traditional Indian medicine, turmeric is used to treat respiratory illnesses like asthma, allergies and other bronchial illnesses. In addition to its health benefits, turmeric offers a distinct and delicious taste when added to any recipe. With the unique flavor combinations found in this soup, there it pairs so well with many of your favorite foods to create a well-balanced meal.
No time to cook today? You can make this soup ahead of time! This soup can be refrigerated for 3-4 days or frozen in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months. Leave room at the top of the container for expansion. Label and date the container. Make sure soup is cooled before freezing. This is a great staple to have in the freezer for a quick lunch or dinner when you’re pressed for time or just don’t feel like cooking. Simply reheat and enjoy!
Creamy Turmeric Cauliflower-Carrot Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup leeks, bulb and lower-leaf portion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1/2-1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1 head cauliflower (5-6" in diameter), chopped
- 1 quart low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon chives, chopped
- Heat a 6 quart soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add olive oil and leeks and sauté for about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic, mustard seeds, turmeric, cumin, sea salt, and black pepper and let cook. Once mustard seeds pop (about 2 minutes) add carrots and cauliflower. Cook for a few more minutes. Add vegetable broth to the pot, and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook on low for about 45 minutes, or until cauliflower is soft.
- Puree using a hand immersion blender. If you don’t have a hand blender puree in a blender working in batches until smooth. Serve warm in bowls and top with fresh chives.
Serving size: 2 cup Calories: 150 calories, Fat: 8 grams, Saturated Fat: 1 grams, Carbohydrates: 15 grams, Sugar: 5 grams, Sodium: 330 milligrams, Fiber: 5 grams, Protein: 5 grams, Cholesterol: 0 milligrams