Zucchini Boats | Fantastic Freekeh
The aroma and composition from this holiday-inspired Zucchini Boats recipe featuring Freekeh, red beans, squash, yellow raisins, white wine, and zucchini is off the charts! The unique textures, beautiful coloration, and distinct flavors make this stuffing one to remember for an upcoming holiday menu or family get-together.
Nutrient Booster: Freekeh
Freekeh is a whole grain that contains a smokey flavor and a nutty, chewy texture and, in terms of nutrition, a 3/4 cup serving of cracked Freekeh has 6 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber, which satiates and keeps you full for hours on end. To batch cook, make extra Freekeh, place in a freezer safe container, and label properly. This is the perfect way to always have available Freekeh ready and waiting to add to your favorite soups, stews, salads and more! So the next time you want a healthy version of the traditional stuffing recipe, try out this dish! With so much to offer, it won’t disappoint.
Rosemary Sage Freekeh Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- 4 medium zucchini, washed and sliced horizontally
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onions, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cups cooked Rosemary Sage Freekeh
- 1 (15 ounce) can small red or pinto beans
- 1 yellow squash, diced*
- 1/2 cup yellow raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup white wine
- Preheat oven to 350⁰F.
- To prepare zucchini, carefully slice in half horizontally. Hollow out the middle with a spoon. Place zucchini on a parchment lined cookie sheet, and roast the zucchini boats in the oven for 15-20 minutes until soft.
- Place 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and saute for 3-5 minutes until onions are a light golden color. Add garlic and saute until golden brown, add turmeric, freekeh, red beans, squash, yellow raisins, sea salt and white wine. Cook for 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, add an equal amount of stuffing into each zucchini boat and bake for 5-10 minutes until the stuffing is lightly browned. Serve warm.
Serving size: 1 zucchini boat, Calories: 165 calories, Fat: 3 grams, Saturated fat: 0 grams, Carbohydrates: 25 grams, Sugar: 8 grams, Sodium: 115 milligrams, Fiber: 4 grams, Protein: 5 grams, Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
If you liked this recipe, you can discover more here! Disclosure: At the time of this post Triad to Wellness provided nutrition communication services for Freekeh Foods. However, we were not compensated for this post. All opinions are our own.