Mexican Meatless Meal
Who said tacos have to be filled with meat and cheese? Whether it’s Meatless Monday, Taco Tuesday, or any other day of the week, our Mexican inspired tacos can make every day feel like a fiesta! Filled with so many healthful nutrients, we’ve created the perfect plant-based taco meal that even a carnivore can love. Using wholesome foods, such as squash, black beans, red cabbage, and cilantro, our Black Bean Butternut Taco recipe combines unique ingredients to create different flavors and textures, all in one incredible bite. You can serve these as-is, or pair them with our insanely delicious and creamy Hempy Guacamole to enhance the southwestern flavors even more. The limitless possibilities of taco assembly makes this dish so easy for you to adapt to special dietary requirements, which is why these vegan tacos taste just as good or better than their carnivorous counterparts.
Nutrient Booster: Butternut Squash
Butternut squash is a great source of Vitamin A in the form of beta-carotene. The beta-carotene found in butternut squash can help your body produce immune responses and fight off disease and infection. Since butternut squash is a superfood, it can be considered a cancer-fighting food. In fact, one specific protein found in butternut squash may inhibit the growth of melanoma (skin cancer) in the body. The impressive nutritional value of butternut squash doesn’t end there. With over four times the recommended daily value of Vitamin A in just one serving, over half the recommended intake of Vitamin C, and an extensive list of other vitamins and minerals, butternut squash is a dietary dream!
Pair these delicious tacos with our Sorghum and Black Bean Vegetable Chilior our Chard Salad with Carrots, Beets and Sunflower Seeds.
Black Bean Butternut Squash Tacos
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and diced into 1" cubes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) container Better Bean Co. Cuban Black Beans, or 1 can black beans rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 8 Grain Free Cassava Siete Tortillas
- 1/2 cup mashed avocado
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
Lime Cilantro Dressing
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add chopped butternut squash, olive oil, cinnamon and cumin. Stir well. Spread onto the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In another medium-sized mixing bowl, add the black beans, cilantro, red cabbage and red onion. Combine well.
- In a small mixing bowl, add the cilantro, onion, garlic, mix until well combined. Add the avocado, lime juice, hemp seeds and salt. Combine well and taste, adding more salt or lime juice if desired.
- In a small bowl, add lime juice, garlic, olive oil and sea salt. Whisk until emulsified. Drizzle the dressing over the black bean mixture.
- To serve, spoon 1/3 cup of the black bean mixture plus 1/2 cup of butternut squash into each soft tortilla or taco. Add 1 tablespoon of Guacamole into each tortilla or taco.
Serving size: 2 tacos, Calories 515 calories, Fat 25 grams, Saturated fat: 5 grams, Carbohydrates: 65 grams, Sugar 6.5 grams, Sodium: 380 milligrams, Fiber 14 grams, Protein: 11 grams, Cholesterol: 0 milligrams