Creamy and Cozy
Craving something hot and creamy to warm you from head to toe? A bowl of our Creamy Butternut Squash Cashew Soup will remove that chill from your inside when the temperature drops outside. With the wholesome and healthy ingredients of butternut squash and cashews, this soup is both nutritious and delicious! Pair this with a fresh green salad and toasted whole grain bread for an all around perfect meal!
Nutrient Booster: Cashews + Butternut Squash
This soup will give you something to smile about! Not only is its warmth soothing and its taste pleasing, but this dish is also rich nutrients that are healthy and satisfying. The cashews found in this soup provide polyunsaturated fatty acids, which have been linked to heart health, and are rich in both iron and magnesium. Butternut squash is a great source of carotenoids, which are known to improve vision, iron absorption, the immune system and inflammation reduction. There are so many delicious and healthy reasons to find comfort in this recipe!
Cook once, eat twice–we make meal prep so easy. This recipe can be doubled for a delicious meal now and another one for later. Simply freeze the leftovers in small containers or quart size freezer bags. Soup should always be cooled and containers labeled before freezing. If using freezer bags, lay the bags flat and stack one upon the other, making sure all of the air has been removed from each. Soup can be frozen for up to 3 months. You can also refrigerate this soup for 3 to 4 days in an airtight container.
Creamy Butternut Squash Cashew Soup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated, or 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 4 cups vegetable broth, low sodium
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds, for garnish, optional
- In a soup pot over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and onions and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring, until they are soft. Add cashews and garlic and stir until the cashews have slightly browned. Add the squash, ginger, turmeric, sea salt, garam masala, broth, and water to the pot and stir until combined. Bring the soup to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pot, and cook the soup until the squash is easily pierced with a knife. This will take about 30 minutes.
- Uncover the soup and let it cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Purée the soup with a hand-held immersion blender until smooth. You can also use a high-speed blender on low speed, or in a standard blender, as long as the soup is divided into batches. Pour blended soup in a serving bowl or container. Garnish with pumpkin seeds, and serve immediately.
Serving size: 2 cups, Calories: 360 cal, Fat: 25g, Saturated fat: 4g, Carbohydrates: 26g, Sugar: 5g Sodium: 240mg, Fiber: 4g, Protein: 10g, Cholesterol: 0mg