Why bake from a box when you can make-your-own mix? We’ve created an insanely delicious healthy brownie recipe that DOES NOT taste healthy! Our Flourless Black Bean Brownie Bites are made with a grain-free superfood upgrade, loaded with fiber, omega-3s and wholesome good-for-you ingredients. Black beans create an incredibly moist and creamy texture in these brownies and are a genius way to healthify this decadent dessert without compromising on flavor. Our brownie bites are are rich, fudgy and super chocolately with a dense velvety texture that will delight the most ardent chocoholic. While it’s no secret that our Flourless Black Bean Brownie Bites are packed with nutrients and naturally sweetened with syrup, no one will ever guess that they are baked with beans. So good, your kids will never ask what’s in them and you don’t have to tell!
Nutrient Boosters: Black Beans + Cocoa
Black beans are the trend in baking–they are a super versatile ingredient and bakers are using them in place of flour to create gluten-free delights. These legumes are prized for their high protein content and are a good source of fiber, folate, iron and magnesium. The combination of plant-based protein and fiber present in black beans can also help reduce the spike in blood sugar that occurs after a meal, thus helping to reduce the risk of diabetes.
Cocoa powder and dark chocolate have been deemed to lower blood pressure. The flavanols found in cocoa improve nitric oxide levels in the blood which helps improve blood vessel function and reduces blood pressure. There are so many fun ways to add the health benefits of cocoa to a well-balanced diet. Make a chocolate milkshake, sprinkle it over fruit, add it to homemade puddings, or bake it in your favorite brownie recipe.
Eating healthy doesn’t mean you have to skip dessert. In fact, our Flourless Black Bean Brownie Bites are so deliciously nutritious, you can feel good about eating them almost anytime. While these brownie bites are heavenly tasting on their own, you can add extra flavor and nutrients by topping them with fresh berries or World of Chia Fruit Spreads. Try adding your personal favorites, such as nut butter, frozen yogurt, or protein-rich skyr.
Flourless Black Bean Brownie Bites
- 3 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup sorghum syrup, or maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup cocoa or cacao powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional (brings out the chocolate flavor)
- 1/3 cup PASCHA 85% chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a 24 cup mini muffin tin with paper liners*
- Prepare 3 flax eggs by adding 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds and 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl and mixing well. Let it sit until it thickens, about 15 minutes.
- In a food processor, add the coconut oil, black beans, sorghum syrup, vanilla extract, flax eggs, cocoa or cacao powder, baking powder, cinnamon, sea salt, and cayenne pepper. Puree until smooth. Add 1/4 cup of 85% chocolate chips to the batter and mix in by hand.
- Fill each muffin tin 2/3 full. (using a cookie scooper is helpful). Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top of the batter. Bake for 20 minutes or until the tops are dry and the edges shrink. Let these cool in the pan for about 25-30 minutes. Serve warm.
Serving size: 2 mini brownies, Calories: 160 calories, Fat: 9 grams, Saturated fat: 6 grams, Carbohydrates: 20 grams, Sugar: 8 grams, Sodium: 45 milligrams, Fiber: 4 grams, Protein: 4 grams, Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Triad to Wellness has provided nutrition communication services to The Sorghum Checkoff. However, we were not compensated for this post. All opinions are our own.