Recipe by Triad to Wellness Consulting – Photo Courtesy of Kristen Massad
Homemade Nutella: Decadent and Delicious
The idea of spreadable chocolate for breakfast doesn’t have to be off limits when you wake up your morning toast the healthy way! Our Homemade Nutella (Chocolate Hazelnut Spread) is full of nutrient-dense ingredients in every delicious bite. We love including Manitoba Harvest in our recipe because the easily digestible plant proteins make hemp seeds a superfood for brain health and nervous system nourishment. We also use maple syrup in place of sugar for a refined sugar-free version of an otherwise unhealthy treat. This luscious topping will sweetly spread over warm toast, waffles, or pancakes for an indulgent, protein-packed breakfast. Or add it to your yogurt, cottage cheese, or smoothies for additional creaminess with a sweet chocolate-y flavor. Vegan and gluten-free, our Chocolate Hazelnut Spread is delicious decadence at its healthiest!
Nutrient Booster: Chocolate + Hemp Hearts
While we love anything chocolate-y for its taste, we especially love using Pascha dark chocolate in this recipe for its heart-healthy flavanols. Research shows that flavanols can improve vascular health by lowering blood pressure and improving blood flow to the brain and heart. Dark chocolate flavanols can also help make blood platelets less likely to clot and reduce the risk of stroke. In addition to the healthy dose of chocolate, we include hemp hearts to this spread, which increases its overall nutrition content. Hemp hearts are rich in vitamins, minerals, and fiber, and contain an impressive 10 grams of protein and 10 grams of omegas per 30-gram serving (3 tablespoons). They also add a slightly nutty flavor that perfectly compliments the hazelnuts in this recipe. For more information on hemp hearts, visit the Manitoba Harvest website. Our Chocolate Hazelnut Spread will satisfy your chocolate craving as part of a balanced, whole foods, plant-based diet.
It is so easy to enjoy the tasty health benefits of our Chocolate Hazelnut Spread. Layer it on fresh baked breads or muffins as a decadent topping. Use it as a dip for apples, strawberries, or pretzels. Stir a spoonful into your morning tea or coffee. Spread it on cake or cupcakes as a frosting. Or simply eat it by the spoonful! This recipe also pairs well with many of our favorite healthy treats. Why not drizzle this spread over our Cashew Cream Stuffed Strawberries, Almond Granola Cups, or Berry and Cashew Cream Dessert Pizza? Spread love with chocolate; package this treat in a Mason Jar and tie a card around it for a personalized gift of health!
Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- 2 1/2 cups unroasted hazelnuts
- 4 ounces 70% dark chocolate, melted
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 teaspon Himalayan pink salt
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, or sorghum syrup
- Preheat oven to 350⁰F. Add hazelnuts to a baking sheet in a single layer. Roast for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove hazelnuts from oven and cool slightly. Transfer to a large kitchen towel and use your hands to roll the nuts around and remove most of the skins. Add the skinless hazelnuts to a high-speed blender. Blend on low until a butter is formed - about 8-10 minutes total - scraping down sides as needed.
- Heat the chocolate over a double boiler or in the microwave in about 30-second increments until melted. Set aside.
- Add the melted chocolate to the hazelnut spread along with hemp seeds, sea salt, coconut oil, and vanilla. Blend until mixed together. Transfer to an airtight preferably glass container and store at room temperature for about 2-4 weeks.
Disclaimer: Triad to Wellness has provided nutrition communication services to Manitoba Harvest and the Sorghum Checkoff. However, we were not compensated for this post. All opinions are our own.