Berry and Kale Sorghum Salad | Berry Delicious
Give your every day greens a refreshing makeover. Our Berry and Kale Sorghum Salad is the perfect combination of sweet and earthy flavors that will recreate the typical “boring” salad to one with vibrant colors, delicious flavor, and so much depth. This dish can also enhance a bland workday lunch with colorful ingredients that tastes great. Plus, it contains an abundance of nutrients– a healthy boost of vitamins and minerals to pair with all your favorite meals.
Nutrient Booster: Kale
We love this salad, not only for its taste and beauty, but also for its high nutrition content. Since this recipe contains kale as its main ingredient, it is teeming with vitamins and minerals such as calcium, manganese, and vitamins A, C, K, and B-6. In fact, kale is considered a superfood, and for good reason. Just a one cup serving provides you with 33 calories, 0 grams of saturated fat, 25 milligrams of sodium, and 3 grams of protein–a great addition to your refrigerator and to your daily diet. In addition to the multiple nutritional benefits, kale is known to contain anti-inflammatory properties, which studies show may aid in fighting different forms of cancer. Research shows that the carotenoids lutein and beta-carotene are stand-out antioxidants and help reduce oxidative stress.
Pair this salad with our Black Sesame Encrusted Salmon, Grilled Chicken Satay with Thai Style Peanut Sauce or Simple Black Bean Burgers for an all around balanced meal!
Berry and Kale Sorghum Salad
- 6 cups kale, finely chopped
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 3/4 cup blueberries
- 1 cup whole grain sorghum, cooked
- Mint to garnish
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp sorghum syrup, or honey
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- In a large mixing bowl, combine kale, almonds, strawberries, and blueberries. Gently combine, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, sorghum syrup, sea salt, ground pepper, and garlic.
- Add sorghum to the kale mixture, combine well, and drizzle the dressing over top. Sprinkle with mint, if desired. Serve immediately.
Serving size: 1.5 cups Calories: 390 calories, Fat: 23 grams, Carbohydrates: 40 grams, Sugar: 6 grams, Sodium: 195 milligrams, Fiber: 9 grams, Protein: 10 grams
Triad to Wellness has provided nutrition communication services to The Sorghum Checkoff and Wondergrain. However, we were not compensated for this post. All opinions are our own.
(1) Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Selenium, and B-Carotene and other Carotenoids: Overview, Antioxidant Definition, and Relationship to Chronic Disease. Institute of Medicine (US) Panel on Dietary Antioxidants and Related Compounds. Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US); 2000. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK225471/ (2) Grain Sorghum Muffin Reduces Glucose and Insulin Responses in Men. Food and Function. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24608948