Recipe by Triad to Wellness Consulting – Photo Courtesy of Kristen Massad
Nothing is more satisfying than sinking your teeth into a homemade truffle, especially a truffle that is healthy and packed with nutritious ingredients, vitamins and antioxidants. Our Chocolate Hazelnut Truffles may not be “truffles” in the traditional sense, but they look and taste just as heavenly as if you are indulging in a decadent treat. These little morsels are made with prunes, which create a perfect dense consistency, a chewy sweetness without added sugars, and a filling that is super moist. When combined with hazelnuts, hemp hearts and cacao powder, every sweet bite is a nutrient-dense, rich, chocolate, hazelnutty taste of bliss. We love coating these truffles in PASCHA 85% chocolate and chopped hazelnuts because it adds an outside crunch and texture that makes these treats beautifully nutritious. Our healthy Chocolate Hazelnut Truffles may seem like a sophisticated candy for adult palates, but they beat any store-bought box of confections.
Nutrient Booster: Hazelnuts
Hazelnuts have an impressive nutrient profile, including vitamins, minerals and antioxidant compounds. They are loaded with healthy fats, which help decrease inflammation in the body. Their high level of antioxidants protect the body from oxidative stress and help lower cholesterol levels in the blood. Plus, the fiber, potassium and magnesium found in hazelnuts help normalize blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease. Hazelnuts are an extremely nutrient-dense nut with a sweet flavor that can be enjoyed raw, roasted, in a paste or as an ingredient in many healthy dishes. Our Chocolate Hazelnut Truffles are an easy and delicious way to enjoy the earthy flavor of a hazelnut while also including their nutrient benefits to your daily your diet.
No-Bake Your Own Box
Chocolate is the ultimate symbol of love, and what better way to show you care than with our decadent Chocolate Hazelnut Truffles. Healthy, delicious, and a powerhouse of energy, our truffles are the perfect nutrient-dense after school snack or post-dinner indulgence. We love using PASCHA 85% chocolate chips in our recipe because dark chocolate is nutritiously delicious. While a box of truffles may be the perfect gift of sweet luxury, why not make your own homemade melt-in-your-mouth pieces of perfection? After all, our recipe is healthier than anything you can buy in a box!
Wondering what to do with your leftover prunes? Check out our Stuffed Acorn Squash recipe for more delicious and healthy meal ideas.
Chocolate Hazelnut Truffles
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 3 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ½ tablespoons cacao powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup prunes
- 1 ½ tablespoons coconut oil
- 21 hazelnuts, for middle of truffles
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/3 cup Pascha Chocolate 85% dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- In a food processor, mix together hazelnuts, hemp hearts, vanilla extract, cacao powder, and salt. Process until smooth. Add prunes, coconut oil and sea salt and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Use a 1 tablespoon measuring spoon to scoop the truffles and roll them into balls. Place 1 whole hazelnut into the middle of each truffle. Place the baking sheet in the refrigerator to harden for at least 10 minutes.
- With a double boiler or in a microwave, melt together coconut oil and dark chocolate until smooth.
- Remove the truffles from the refrigerator, and roll each truffle in the melted chocolate mixture, and then in the chopped hazelnuts. Place each truffle back on the parchment paper, and place the baking sheet into the refrigerator to harden for a minimum of 20 minutes.
Serving size: 1 truffle, Calories: 120 calories, Fat: 8.5 grams, Saturated fat: 3 grams, Carbohydrates: 9 grams, Sugar: 4 grams, Sodium: 20 milligrams, Fiber: 2 grams, Protein: 2.5 grams, Cholesterol: 0 milligrams