Heart Healthy Dessert
Who knew a nutritious dessert could say more than sweet nothings to your loved ones? Our Chocolate Peanut Butter and Strawberry Chia Jam Cups are a delicious way to tell someone you care. These heart-shaped cups will satisfy any sweet tooth on Valentine’s Day or any special occasion. Vegan peanut butter cups not only have a decadent flavor, but they are also packed with solid nutrition. We love combining the gift of health and happiness!
Nutrient Booster: Cacao
These chocolate goodies are filled with healthy ingredients such as strawberries, chia seeds, and dark cacao. The cacao in this recipe is rich in magnesium, calcium, sulfur, zinc, iron, copper, potassium, manganese, and antioxidants. Some studies have even shown a correlation between cacao and a decreased risk of coronary heart disease and stroke. Remember, moderation is key when consuming chocolate and too much of a good thing is not always healthful. Our pre-portioned cups are a perfectly nutritious way to give the gift of love!
Meal Prep & Storage
This decadent desert is so easy to prepare. For added convenience, the strawberry chia jam can be prepped in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 3 months. If frozen, the jam should be thawed in the fridge before using. If you don’t have time to make the strawberry chia jam, you can mix 2 teaspoons of chia seeds into 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon of store-bought strawberry jam. A small amount of work to show a big amount of love!
Chocolate Peanut Butter and Strawberry Chia Jam Cups
- 9 oz 65% Cacao bittersweet baking chocolate chips, melted
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, unrefined
- 4 tablespoons strawberry chia jam
Strawberry Chia Jam
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, or sorghum syrup, honey
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- In a mixing bowl, combine the melted cacao baking chips, peanut butter, and coconut oil and mix until well combined. Set aside.
- For the strawberry chia jam, begin by chopping the strawberries. In a saucepan over medium heat, add the strawberries, vanilla extract, balsamic vinegar and sorghum syrup. Bring to a gentle boil then reduce to simmer for 10 minutes. Stir and mash the fruit with the back of a spatula or a potato masher to your desired consistency. Once the mixture is thick, remove the saucepan from the heat. Add the chia seeds and stir thoroughly. For a smoother jam use an immersion blender or blender until desired consistency.
- Let the jam sit for at least 5 minutes until it sets. Once the jam has cooled at room temperature place the mixture into a mason jar or a glass container and let it set for 5 minutes.
- Use a mini muffin pan or heart shaped silicone pan to place the batter into. Fill 2.5 teaspoons of the chocolate mixture in the cup holder and transfer pan to the freezer until chocolate is set (about 10 minutes). Add 1 teaspoon of the strawberry chia jam mixture on top and place in the freezer for 10 minutes until it is set. Spoon 2.5 teaspoons of the chocolate mixture on top of the strawberry chia jam and freeze for 30 minutes until set. If desired, you can also leave them in the freezer overnight. Remove chocolate peanut butter chia cups from the pan and serve immediately.
Serving size: 1 cup, Calories: 210 calories, Fat: 15 grams, Saturated fat: 7 grams, Carbohydrates: 15 grams, Sugar: 8 grams, Sodium: 14 milligrams, Fiber: 4 grams, Protein: 4 grams, Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Triad to Wellness has provided nutrition communication services to The Sorghum Checkoff. However, we were not compensated for this post. All opinions are our own.